Wednesday, August 10, 2016

WIP Wednesday and A New Goal

I joined Measi's WIPocalypse group for their Olympic stitching this month as it was a great excuse to get out Reflections of Canada by Ink Circles. I'd been itching to get back to this one. 

I left it here in January, as shown Friday:

And so far I've managed a decent amount of progress:
2 over 1 on 25 count Jobelan with Jodyri Ruby Slippers

I will say it's sometimes difficult to get much accomplished while watching the Olympics. :) 

We managed to find a way to stream the U.S. coverage through NBC by signing up for Playstation Vue. There's a free trial for a week, and I think I'll be satisfied with that. It's been interesting to watch. Here's a fun fact for everyone, all of Canada's medals have been won by women, so that's pretty interesting as well. 

My goal is to finish half of this design before moving on to the Nora Corbett letters, but we'll see how far I get. I have a date in mind to reach my goal, and if I ignore all my other obligations, I just might make it. ;)

NEW GOAL

As for the new goal mentioned in the title, I've decided to try and give up all refined sugar for a month. I'm turning 40 this year and decided I needed to challenge myself with something difficult. I'm still deciding on what "big" prize I'd like to have as a reward. Because I think that's the only way I'll actually accomplish this one. Sugar is hidden in so many things it's difficult to avoid. 

I was thinking of a half decent camera since I've been feeling more interested in photography again, and DH isn't thrilled that I always change his settings when I use his camera. Or maybe a Millenium frame or something like that? The only issue I have with the large frames is I tend to stitch on our couch, and the seat cushions are too long for my legs to sit "normally". So I use the lounger, which means a standing frame would be awkward unless I can have it at the side.
 I tried this one and ended up with a backache because I have to sit too far forward on the couch and had no back support. 

A lap frame might be useful, but I don't know if they work well on loungers. Plus I work on a lot of medium size projects, but there are a few large ones I'd like to get some serious work accomplished on. A large frame might help since I could stitch 2-handed. 

Any experience, advice or critiques on the options available would be welcome! 

Happy Stitching,

Tiffstitch





12 comments:

  1. I know how difficult it is to give up sugars. I did just that last November ....it's easier than you'd think. You definitely deserve a reward....I hold my frames except when I do gold work.....so can't be much help to you.
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice progress Tiffany. I don't use a frame, I stitch in hand. Sorry can't help you.

    Linda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank Linda, and that's okay. I do that too sometimes. :)

      Delete
  3. Good luck with sugarless month! Have you read "Year of No Sugar" by Eve Schaub? It documents a family's efforts to go without sugar for a whole year.

    You've made good progress on your Reflections of Canada, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, and yes I have. It was a really interesting read. I also follow Traci Mitchell's blog here for lots of great recipes. http://tracidmitchell.com/

      Delete
  4. that's good progress on Reflections - do love your floss. Good luck with the sugar - I had to cut way back after I was diagnosed with diabetes and it is hard, but you can do it. I don't use a frame, so no advice I'm afraid.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good progress on your stitching!! I stitch in hands and only for Dimensions project where the fabric is hard I use Q-snaps. But I sit on sofa and most of my projects are on iPad so I use iPad stand with which I can sit with my back resting comfortably and design at my eye level.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My comment seems to have been eaten? LOL, Anyways,
    Great progress!

    As for going sugarless, I did it more than 10 years ago and I don't regret it. A lot of things are actually too sweet for me now and I find a lot of sweetness in things I didn't previously. It was a pain to do, but once you get through the initial stages of sugar craving, you'll be so happy!

    As for the stand - I actually use an Ergo from Artisan Designs; I likewise have a deep couch and it lets me sit back, sit forward, or any way that I like, and I use it with my Qsnaps, though I used to use it when I had scroll frames. The website is here if you want to check them out: http://www.artisandesign.com/index.html

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great progress!! I use qsnap so can't really help, I am sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh dear, I'm sat here eating a jam doughnut covered in sugar! I did cut back to one sugar in coffee several years ago but I need my sweetness!
    If you do go for the Millenium Frame allow plenty of time for it to be delivered! They are not at all organised but regular telephone chasing by a friend in the UK will help!
    Is that your living room? It's very elegant!
    Love the progess on the Canadian design, great colour.
    Your Olympians might like this FB post too-
    https://www.facebook.com/MANWHOHASITALL/photos/a.846983778753948.1073741829.845933925525600/1016278621824462/?type=3&theater

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great progress!

    No help from me. I'm a Q-Snap in the hand kind of person. I used a frame once but just don't like the feel of it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just have to comment on your living room - how gorgeous and TIDY!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for any comments!

Catch-up Post and Mischievous March

Hello again, things conspired so I didn't get a chance to put a post up, but I have been stitching. I also remembered to pick up my Misc...